Tuesday, November 28, 2006
On the 27th November, I went for my OGTT at KKH. So what's this OGTT...even some mothers do not know it because not all pregnant lady has to go thru this test. Only those that has a family history of diabetes. OGTT stands for Oral Glucose Tolerance Test. And I have the honor of having to go thru this test coz my beloved dad has diabetes. So what happens in this test...the night before from 12am onwards till the time ur test ends, u are supposed to fast. Sounds easy huh. Try being 7 months pregnant when ur tummy growls the first thing you open ur eyes. I was so so hungry at 6am...but as the instruction goes, I have to fast.
Once I reach KKH, they took my fasting blood sample. After which I was given a drink, yeah! u might think...until u take the first sip of that drink. The helpful nurse gave me an insight while mixing the drink for me. The most difficult part of OGTT is finishing the drink! Thanks nurse for your 'encouraging' words. But she meant well, i know.
And so I sat outside the room, sipping the dreaded drink. The first sip was like 'ok...it's not so bad, it tastes like glucose drink'. The second and third sip was still ok...but after that my once dehydrated body decided it has enough of the super duper sweet drink...and I was really struggling to finish the sacred drink. As instructed by the nurse, I took my own sweet time. Alas, by 15 mins, I manage to slowly but surely finish the whole cup of super duper sweet concoction. And after that I have to wait 2 hours before my Glucose blood sample can be drawn. At two hours will be 10:55am. And the good news is that I will have to continue fasting! Poor baby...and mak baby!
While waiting for the 2 hrs, I met the doctor, who measured my tummy and told me that my baby is a bit small. 'U can afford to eat more, u know. U have only put only 4 kilos my dear'. Gosh!! When I WANT to put on weight, it seems so difficult...I've been eating...but now it seems i have to eat more...more...more!! Craziness! But I'll try for the sake of my baby. So geng, indulge me...lets go out for breakfast, lunch, tea break, dinner, supper....hahaha!
At last, after 2 hours, I got to give my Glucose Blood Sample...and finally i get to eat. Phew! Kudos to baby and mak baby! hehe.



